panelarrow

Suregork Loves Beer

Beer Reviews, Homebrew, Rambling

Homebrew: Sour Ale – Bottling and addition of berries

| 0 comments

Yesterday, the Sour Ale I brewed in October 2013 had been in the primary fermenter for almost 11 months. I didn’t have enough patience to wait the full year, so yesterday I also decided to add berries to the beer. I had originally planned to only use blueberries, but I ended up adding 2.2 kg of blueberries and 0.8 kg of raspberries. Before adding the berries, I bottled 5 bottles of the plain base beer, so I can use it for later comparisons. The gravity of the base beer had fallen to 1.010, while its ABV% was 4.2%, and its pH was 3.74. Compared to the pH of other commercial sour ales, this beer had a slightly higher pH (I’ve read that first generation homebrewed sours typically don’t get very acidic). This was reflected in the flavour as well, which was acidic and tart, but quite mild compared to the 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze I had during the bottling session (I pitched the dregs of the bottle into the homebrew as well). Otherwise the flavour was quite clean (i.e. no major off-flavours such as solvents, higher alcohols, diacetyl, chlorophenolics, etc.) and quite cider-like, with hints of apple and funk. It will be interesting to follow how this one evolves and compares with the ‘berry version’. I was quite surprised at the high FG and hopefully I won’t get any bottle bombs (the beer had been untouched in the fermenter for so long that one would think that fermentation would have ‘finished’). I ended up adding around 300 g berries / liter of beer, so they will hopefully contribute with a lot of flavour! I plan to bottle the ‘berry version’ in around 3 months time.

Here is a picture of the pellicle prior to bottling around 1.7 liters of the base beer:

pellicle

The beer had cleared really nicely under the pellicle. Unfortunately it was lacking carbonation and was warm for the taste sampling, but despite this it was tasting promising.

base_sour_ale

I used frozen Finnish berries. I added them frozen directly to the beer.

berries

Here is the 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze I had while bottling. I added the dregs from the bottle to the homebrew.

3_fonteinen

Here I am adding the berries through a sanitized funnel.

adding_blueberries

This is how it looked once all the berries had been added.

raspberries

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.